Job Vacancy: Creative Trend Editor, Home + Interiors with DNN member Trend Bible
Trend Bible forecast trends for global retailers and brands to help them identify how people will live at home in the future. They produce seasonal trend publications and deliver bespoke trend insight through consultancy relationships. Their trend publications sell in 22 countries and our consultancy work spans recognised brands in the UK, Europe, USA and South Africa.
The company culture is a unique blend of people, behaviours, attitudes, systems and processes that equate to their globally renowned reputation. They are a high growth company that embraces and adapts to change through a genuine enthusiasm for learning. They strive for excellence and source the best talent. The character of the organisation is one of deep integrity, where quality trend forecasting information is combined with excellent customer service. They are natural collaborators who seek to inspire each other and their audiences.
Creative Trend Editor – Home + Interiors
Role Reports to Joanna Feeley, CEO with monthly coaching sessions.
Trend Researchers, Freelance contributors and Interns report to Creative Trend Editor.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to drive and develop Trend Bible's Home & Interiors trend publication business. Based from their Newcastle upon Tyne headquarters, the Creative Trend Editor will be accountable for driving the creative direction of these bi-annual trend books to maximise sales across the UK, USA, Europe and South Africa.
Working to their publishing deadlines and critical path, you will lead a small team of freelance contributors and other team members to craft highly creative yet commercially powerful trend concepts and colour palettes appropriate to the home and interiors industry. This role is very much that of a ‘visual storyteller’ where an emotional connection to imagery, mood and colour draws the audience in. You will demonstrate a strong understanding of up-and-coming designers and makers, with strong image sourcing skills and a good knowledge of materials across all home interior substrates.
You will have experience of identifying Macro trends and future consumer needs and translating these into design and colour stories that resonate with companies from high-end retailers and brands right through to the value sector. You will understand how trends are picked up by different groups of consumers and be able to identify when these will impact our global audiences.
We are looking for evidence of strong creative writing ability to help shape the most emotive and impactful trend stories possible. Our seasonal forecasts are published in printed and eBook format.
- Improve depth of sales (printed books and eBooks) in the UK, USA and Scandinavian regions by developing inspiring and commercially powerful concepts each season
- Fully understand Trend Bible's Customer Personas and what motivates them, crafting trend concepts that appeal to them season upon season
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a deep understanding of what’s driving trends in 2-3 years’ time
- Develop distinct creative concepts with a commercial eye
- Chair our bi-annual trend panel, inviting inspiring thinkers to share ideas to kick the season off
- Lead a small team to source and create highly original and inspiring images
- Attend international design weeks and trade fairs
- Clearly communicate trend concepts to other team members, agents and clients
- Develop print and styling briefs to team members and freelancers
- Manage the contribution of team members
- Manage the critical path
- Work with the production manager from layout design through to quality control
- Work with the marketing team to develop impactful marketing campaigns including mini trend movies and scripted sound files
- Conceptualise commercial colour palettes appropriate for the home interiors market
- Craft clear, inspiring mood copy and succinct annotations with industry-appropriate terminology
- Paginate and design the trend book pages
- Demonstrate understanding of copyright and trade marking of images and designs
- Articulate, in writing and verbally, trend concepts, design direction
- Run a live project with students at Heriot Watt University
- Review and analyse sales data each season and work with the Sales team and Agent Partners to collate feedback to inform future editions
- Collaborate with our Festive Forecast team to publish Christmas trends that compliment the Home and Interiors Trend Books
- Present trend concepts to our audiences at trade shows and private trend events
The ideal candidate will have 4-6 years previous experience of working on trend publications or in the publishing industry, including art direction, page pagination and colour palette development.
Trend Bible are looking for a pro-active creative visionary, who is commercially astute and quick to grasp commercial concepts and product strategies. You will exhibit infectious enthusiasm and be naturally inquisitive. This role is best suited to someone who is a natural problem solver, able to work quickly and effectively with a ‘can-do’ positive attitude. You will be a highly-motivated self-starter that takes pride in leading a team and inspires trust.
You will have a good understanding of the broader trend forecasting industry and a passion to grown Trend Bible’s presence within it.
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign
- Good public speaking skills
- Photography skills useful but not essential
Educated to Degree or Masters level in the creative and/or business field.
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
Salary dependent on experience.
Trend Bible offer flexi-time to all employees, when you travel for work you can add an extra day to your trip at the company’s expense and you get your birthday off. They offer salary sacrifice schemes for mobile phones and have a cycle to work scheme. Senior team members enjoy free parking.
Please send your CV, covering letter and appropriate examples of your work to Joanna@trendbible.com
The deadline for applications is Friday 30th June 2017.
Trend Bible are valued members of Design Network North. Design Network North is part of RTC’s new programme called ‘Designing Better Business’ – launched in 2016 - which will provide support for north east businesses looking to continue to innovate and design better world leading products.
RTC was founded in 1989 with the sole purpose of helping businesses innovate and create new higher value products. Today, the business operates out of offices in Sunderland, Gateshead, Leeds and Daresbury and specialises in helping companies develop new products, embed new skills through training and access funding for innovation.
‘Designing Better Business’ is part funded by European Regional Development Fund, as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.