Newton Press are winners of the “Heart of the Community” award
Newton Press, Winners of the County Durham Environmental Awards 2018 in the ‘Greener Business’ category, were delighted to have also won the “Heart of the Community” category at the Durham, Sunderland & South Tyneside regional heat of the North East Business Awards 2019.
The shortlist for each category consists of just three companies/organisations picked from a list of over 1000 entries, the winner of which was crowned at the Durham, Sunderland & South Tyneside Regional Business Awards heat on Thursday 14th March 2019 at Ramside Hall Hotel.
The prestigious black tie evening hosted a drinks reception with formal proceedings following.
Newton Press was founded by the late Syd Howarth in 1963, it has always been at the forefront of the community it serves – not only in providing print and a free weekly community newspaper, but in leading social and environmental projects of benefit, not only to the region, but also national organisations.
The latest in a long line of projects, is instigating and providing the Darlington & Bishop Auckland MRI Scanner Appeal and then giving gifts of posters, leaflets, design work and advertising features.
Newton Press, a family run business, are specialists in the print industry and have been established for over 56 years. The company experienced record sales in 2018 as well as significant growth in the last 18 months and are committed to new technology, investing in the latest world leading Eco-Friendly print machinery allowing planet friendly, exceptional fast printing.
Newton Press have very strong roots with their local community, so much so that the late founder, Syd Howarth, was nicknamed ‘Mr. Newton Aycliffe’ and went on to be awarded an M.B.E. for all the work he achieved in the local community, indeed since his very sad passing, the local council unanimously decided to name a street in his honour. This hard work and dedication is now carried on through his three sons, Paul, Stuart and Chris as well as all the staff at Newton Press.
This includes being part of the GAMP (Great Aycliffe and Middridge Partnership), a Local Area Action Partnership board, on behalf of Durham County Council and on the board of directors for Aycliffe Business Park Community along with supporting a very large number of charities, organisations, events and businesses.
Whilst Newton Press are celebrating over 56 years in business and previously winning the ‘Heart of The Community’ award through Aycliffe Business Park, nominated by the local businesses; it is the future that they look forward to and playing a huge and instrumental supporting role in the local community.
They will continue to achieve this by remaining the go to source for all local news and content, this interaction that they have with their community has been built over many years and they continue to integrate more with the addition of a community radio station, set up by Paul Howarth and run with the help of nearly 40 local volunteers who are also dedicated and liaise directly with the local community.
A few examples supporting the community:
- Founding the Aycliffe Nature Park
- Founding community organisations including a Residents’ Association.
- Enhancing the environment at the entrance to the town.
- Sponsoring, printing and fitting the town entrance welcome signs.
- Initiating and supporting a War Memorial for the Town.
- Free printing for numerous local charity events.
- Free editorials for charities and new business start-ups.
- Pioneering Care Partnership – we have donated over £10,000 worth of free print and editorial space in the newspaper to this organisation.
- Supported BeeHappy 2Gether Charity launch with various printed materials, adverts and editorials in the newspaper and Aycliffe Radio presenting throughout the whole launch, live from the event.
- Christmas Live Concert working with Town Centre Management, handing out presents to children in the town during the day.
- Annual School Year 11 Awards to both our senior schools.
- Local Photo Competition (Quarterly).
- Tesco Fun Day.
- ROF Festival.
- Corporate sponsor of Pioneering Care Partnership and Butterwick Hospice.
- Blue Light Day supporting emergency services.
- Aycliffe Live Music Festival.
- Regular radio interviews with local residents, businesses and politicians.
- A member of our staff is on the Board of Directors for Aycliffe Business Park.
- A member of our staff has been on the committee as a volunteer for GAMP as the ‘Business Representative’.
- A member of our staff is volunteering as an ‘Enterprise Advisor’ working with schools and students to help them with career choices and relevant skills and experiences as outlined by the ‘Gatsby Benchmark’ for the Tees Valley Combined Authority’.
- Winner of the Environmental Awards 2018 in the ‘Greener Business’ category which cements the companies aim; to produce environmentally friendly print using materials from sustainable sources without the use of chemicals or contaminants, making use of world leading eco-friendly technology. As part of our sustainability programme we were also involved in a volunteering event where we undertook tree planting for the day.
Newton Press will now go into the next stage, the North East finals, taking on winners from Northumberland and Teesside regional finals, on Thursday 16th May at Hardwick Hall.
The award was sponsored by Gentoo who were very generous in their praise of the work Newton Press do in their community.
And all the time, they remembered the father of the company, Syd, and his guiding passion and enthusiasm for the town and people of Newton Aycliffe.